About the Trademark Licensing Office
- - Please note, the trademark office recently moved to 2750 Beardshear Hall. - -
In 1984, Iowa State University became one of the first universities in the nation to establish a trademark licensing program. Designed to protect the university's reputation and provide valuable revenues, the program allows our licensed vendors to sell products imprinted with federally registered Iowa State marks. Royalty revenues support student programs. Licensed vendors make a valuable difference in the education of our students.
Iowa State University's Trademark Licensing Office exists to protect, promote and market the indicia (names, symbols, graphics, marks, etc.) owned by the University. Our mission is to ensure proper use and application of Iowa State University's trademarks, to strengthen the trademarks through relationships with retailers, licensees, campus units, student organizations, alumni, and fans and, to generate revenue that funds athletic and academic programs.
ISU's Trademark Program was established in 1984 and is currently housed under the Office of University Counsel. Through a contracted agreement, Learfield Licensing Partners (formerly known as LRG) assists the Trademark office in monitoring commercial and internal use of the indicia. Individuals, groups, units and organizations, both on and off campus, seeking to use Iowa State indicia must use licensed vendors and have prior final approval from the Trademark Office. Learfield Licensing Partners is responsible for the license administration of the approximately 650 vendors producing products bearing ISU trademarks.
We hope that you will find our web site useful and easy to use. Your interest and comments are welcome!
- Established: 1858
- School colors: Cardinal Red and Cyclone Gold
- Athletic Conference: Big 12, NCAA Division I-A
- Athletic mascot: "Cy" (a cardinal)
- Athletic team name: Cyclones
- Trademark licensing affiliation: Learfield Licensing Partners
- Royalty rate: 12% standard, 14% vintage
- Labeling required: Collegiate Licensed Product
- Approximate number of licensed vendors: 650